Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Utica Lunatic Asylum, Utica, NY


After reading about the historic homes in Rutger Park it got me thinking about the Utica Psychiatric Center Building aka NYS Lunatic Asylum, Utica State Hospital. If you are looking for an interesting way to spend a few moments, bring along a camera and be prepared to be
amazed at how magnificent this structure truly is as you walk around it. If you're into architecture Utica Psych. built in 1814 this is listed in the National Historic Register as one of the finest examples of Greek Revival Architecture. There is quite a bit of info out there if you do a Google search. Occasionally, they have walking tours in conjunction with Utica Monday Night.
Anyway, hopefully this site will be given some much needed attention, focus and dollars as it is such a wonderful opportunity for this area especially with the adjacent acreage that NYS owns
along with the property.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I've heard this place is seriously haunted and the security there is always busy trying to keep thrill seekers, nutcases etc out.Maybe
Utica should offer a haunted sleep over tour to raise some tourism dollars. Hey, seriously they do it in other places and there are tv shows that cater to people that are into this
HVM Utica,NY

wkunyer said...

I used to live near the Asylum when I was 17 - lol - my first apartment. As I was walking down the street a patient behind the fence started to walk along with me and he was trying to tell me that I was the crazy one because while he was in there he had enough to eat and clothes to wear and no problems. It's funny, that of all the strange people I have met in my lifetime out in the so called normal world he seemed more sane. Imagine that! (wkunyer)

Anonymous said...

I use to live in Utica. Back in the mid 90's. I could remember a lot of eccentric people hanging out around there late at night. Is that place still standing?

Unknown said...

Would anyone know where the inmates/patients of the asylum would be buried? I am looking for my grandmother.
Thank You
kk
shadowlandlabs@earthlink.net